Fix The Secret World crash problems, errors, freezing, lagging, desktop crash, FPS issues, black screen, no sound, and more with this list of user-contributed solutions. The Secret World is certainly up to be a definitive gallery of supernatural scares. Zombies, Vampires, and countless other monstrosities are packed in this MMORPG to fill up your childhood horror fantasies. While The Secret World is proving to be a noteworthy MMORPG by its own right, you will have to get over some game-breaking bugs, crashes, and errors. Be sure to read through our solution list to help you run the game properly.
Fixing The Secret World Crashes, Errors, Freezing, Lagging, Poor Framerates, Black screen, No Sound
First things first, make sure your PC system meets the minimum requirements for The Secret World. If you’re not sure of your PC specs, check this guide on how to check your PC specs.
The Secret World Minimum System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP (SP 1)/Vista (SP 1)/Windows 7 (SP 1)
- VIDEO CARD: nVidia 8800 series 512 VRAM or better/Radeon HD3850 512MB or better
- PROCESSOR: 2.6 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
- DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
- MEMORY: At least 2GB RAM for Windows XP / 3GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7 INPUT: Keyboard & Mouse
- HARD DRIVE: At least 30GB of free space
*2GB RAM for Windows XP / 3GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
The Secret World Crash Fix and Fixes to Errors, Freezing, Lagging, CTD, Poor FPS, Black screen, No Sound
Problem #1 The Secret World – Cannot Install The Secret World
Reinstall the game, but please ensure that you’ve fully uninstalled The Secret World from your PC, before trying to install again. In some cases, you may have to manually delete the The Secret World installation folder from the PC in case files remain after uninstalling.
Problem #2 The Secret World Install Error: “The Secret World Install Fails, Cannot Install”
This is a Microsoft C++ bug so the quick fix is to uninstall your C++ files. If you see 2 instances of Microsoft C++, uninstall both of them; and don’t worry, they are easy to reinstall. There are also a couple workarounds online if you don’t want to uninstall them.
Problem #3 The Secret World Game Freeze Fix – Game Freezes during the Intro Video
If you’re using Steam, a quick solution is to verify the integrity of your Steam game cache to resolve the problem. If it persists, ensure that both your graphics drivers and DirectX are updated. Doing both will mostly reduce the occurrences of The Secret World freezing.
Problem #4 The Secret World Crash Fix – Game crashes when launching / upon launch
This is a typical DirectX problem. Just update to the latest DirectX version and voila. If that doesn’t work, reinstall DirectX completely.
Problem #5 The Secret World DirectX Fix – Cannot Install Direct X / Stuck at Direct X Installation
More often than not, this has been caused by other software drivers such as those from Logitech, Razer, Microsoft, etc, which normally control other minor peripherals such as your webcam, special programs, and sometimes your mouse. Simply shut them off and disable them, and try updating/installing Direct X again.
Problem #6 The Secret World Crash Fix – Possible Crash Fix for nVidia users only
Go to Nvidia control panel by right clicking the icon in the taskbar, then manage 3d settings and set ‘Threaded Optimization’ to on.
Problem #7 The Secret World Crash Fix – Possible Crash Fix for ATI/AMD users only
Uninstall Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and try running The Secret World again. For some reason, CCC may at times interfere with the performance of Radeon cards.
Problem #8 The Secret World Crash Fix – Crash to Desktop upon Launch / Startup
If The Secret World randomly crashes upon launching the game, ensure or try the following:
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers. Check our Technical References page for proper and official download links.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes The Secret World performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the The Secret World, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)