A lot of people keep asking if there is a general fix for graphics problems out there. The answer is no, but I’ve created a simple check list below which you can run through every time you encounter graphics problems, whether you’re an nVidia or ATI user, or even Intel HD graphics.
General Fixes for Graphics Problems
- Alt+Tab out of the game and check if there are any Windows firewall, anti-virus, or any other security notifications related to your game, then click “Allow”. Firewall and anti-virus programs blocking your gaming activities are common reasons why some graphic problems are triggered.
- Ensure your PC specs meet the minimum requirements to run the game. If you’re not sure of your PC specs, check this guide on how to check your PC specs.
- Update your drivers! To quickly check which drivers are outdated on your PC, we recommend using DriverScanner. You can download DriverScanner here and do the scan for FREE. If you have a few extra dollars, you can do what we did and upgraded DriverScanner which will allow you to instantly get all the needed drivers to keep your PC updated. Otherwise, you can manually check our Technical References page for a partial list of relevant drivers.
- Disable your anti-virus programs. Just like item #1, anti-virus problems really can cause graphics problems, and this is often overlooked.
- Disable all unnecessary background applications, they can unknowingly overload your system and trigger graphics problems for both nVidia and ATI cards.
- Update your BIOS. Do this only as a last ditch effort since your PC BIOS is very sensitive. Once you’re successful in updating it though, fresh BIOS can streamline your PC process operations and reduce both sound and graphics problems.
- Download the latest version of your DirectX. Keeping it updated ensures the compatibility of your games to your system which can reduce the occurrences of graphics problems. Check our Technical References page for the official download links.
- If you have to reinstall your graphics drivers, do it properly with a good driver cleaner. Suggested driver cleaners may be found on our Technical References page. The process is to uninstall your graphics drivers, then run the driver cleaner to ensure that no bugs or issues remain. Apart from solving persistent graphics problems, doing this will also help solve the issue where your ATI Catalyst or nVidia Control Panels being unable to launch.
Let me know if these hotfixes for graphics problems are helpful for you by posting in the respective comment sections.