Here are fixes and solutions for Trine 2 crash issues, freezing, keyboard mapping, overheating, lagging. Trine 2 might as well one of the dark horses in the gaming industry this year, making waves even without the hype that recent games had put so much effort on. Despite being a solid sequel to the original puzzle-solver Trine, Trine 2 is a bit setback by game-breaking bugs, crashes, freezing, and a perennial overheating issue. Read on for possible solutions to these common crash issues and problems in Trine 2.
Fixing Trine 2 Crashes, Keyboard Mapping, Overheating, Errors, Lagging, Poor FPS, No Sound
First things first, make sure your PC system meets the minimum requirements for Trine 2. If you’re not sure of your PC specs, check this guide on how to check your PC specs.
Minimum System Requirements:
- CPU: 2.0 GHz CPU (Dual Core recommended)
- RAM: 1 GB
- VGA: ATi Radeon HD 2400 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or better (Shader Model 3.0 needs to be supported)
- DX: DirectX 9.0c
- OS: Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- HDD: 1.5 GB
- Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible
Note: *Please note that Trine 2 may not run on most Intel graphics solutions used in 2004-2009. The game does run on new (2010-) Intel HD Graphics 3000 or better.
Trine 2 Crash Fix and Fixes to Errors, Freezing, Lagging, CTD, Poor FPS, Black screen, No Sound
Problem #1 Trine 2 Crash Fix – Trine 2 Causes Overheating
Attention! Even if you’re not having overheating issues, you may want to consider this fix. Trine 2 really overworks your PC resources, so doing the following tweaks can merit you immediate performance improvement.
- Lower super sample anti-aliasing (SSAA) from the in-game options. If possible, set it to the lowest possible setting.
- Limit the Trine 2 game frame rates manually by editing %APPDATA%/Trine2/options.txt and change the line setOption(renderingModule, “ReduceInputLag”, false) to true. Save options.txt, right-click it and mark as Read-Only to prevent further system changes.
Problem #2 Trine 2 Keyboard Fix – Unable to map / bind keys
You might find yourself unable to map your keyboard properly, so do this:
In Windows 7 go to %APPDATA%Trine2UserBinds folder right-click it, select properties, and make sure read-only is NOT checked. If the folder UserBinds somehow does not exist (may have been deleted by accident), manually create it to generate the appropriate mapping files.
Problem #3 Trine 2 Monitor Fix – How to change your screen / monitor Refresh Rate
If you are unable to change the refresh rate manually when playing Trine 2 (e.g., default is 50, you may want to change it to 60), follow these steps:
- Find options.txt in Steamsteamappscommontrineconfig
- Open options.txt and find the “Display” section
- Add “refresh_rate_override = 60? to the end of the Display section (change accordingly)
Here’s a sample of the adjusted options.txt file:
anisotrophy = 2
antialias_active_samples = 2
antialias_samples = 2
brightness = 1.000000
contrast = 1.000000
gamma = 1.000000
maximize_window = 0
render_use_vsync = 1
saturation = 1.000000
screen_bpp = 32
screen_height = 1080
screen_width = 1920
window_titlebar = 0
windowed = 0
refresh_rate_override = 60
Make sure you save the changes, then right-click on the options.txt file and mark Read-Only so that the game does not automatically effect its own changes or restart it to default.
Problem #4 Trine 2 Crash Fix – Crash to Desktop upon Launch / Startup
If you’re game randomly crashes upon launching the game, ensure or try the following:
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers. Check our Technical References page for proper and official download links.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes game performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the game, but make sure you turn it back on after playing.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering
- Disable V-sync
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- Run through our list of general fixes, which will most likely resolve your