Fix all Torchlight 2 crashes, errors, freezing, lagging, desktop crash, FPS issues, black screen, no sound, and more with this list of solutions. If you continue to experience crashes and game issues in Torchlight 2, we encourage you to post in the comments section.
Fixing Torchlight 2 Crashes, Errors, Freezing, Lagging, CTD, Poor FPS, Black screen, No Sound
First things first, make sure your PC system meets the minimum requirements for Torchlight 2. If you’re not sure of your PC specs, check this guide on how to check your PC specs.
Torchlight 2 Crash Fix and Fixes to Errors, Freezing, Lagging, CTD, Poor FPS, Black screen, No Sound
Problem #1 Torchlight 2 Crash Fix – Crash to Desktop upon Launch / Startup
If Torchlight 2 randomly crashes upon launching the game, ensure or try the following:
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers. Check our Technical References page for proper and official download links.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes Torchlight 2 performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the Torchlight 2, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering, restart Torchlight 2
- Disable V-sync, restart Torchlight 2
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- In Windows 7 right-click the Torchlight 2 exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition’
- Run through our list of general fixes, which will most likely resolve your Torchlight 2 crash problems
Problem #2 Torchlight 2 Crash Fix – Torchlight 2 Crashes right after pressing the ‘Play’ button
In Windows 7 go the Torchlight 2 installation folder, right-click the Torchlight 2 exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition.’ Then try running Torchlight 2 once more.
Problem #3 Torchlight 2 Launch Crash Fix – Torchlight 2 “Could not load image”
Go to the Torchlight 2 installation folder and look for the Torchlight 2 .exe file and run it directly from there, rather than using the shortcut or client link.
Problem #4 Torchlight 2 Crash Fix – Torchlight 2 Crashes on Intel HD Graphics Card
Simply do a clean uninstall and reinstall of your Intel Graphics Driver. Check our Technical References page for proper and official downloads.
Problem #5 Torchlight 2 Texture Fix – Bad Textures, Texture Breaks, Texture Glitch on gaming laptop
This is only for gaming laptops, but could work for some PCs. Note that this is an advanced solution, and only try this if other basic solutions such as disabling anti-aliasing and filtering failed for you. If your BIOS has the option, disable ‘Switchable Graphics’. This will remove your laptop PC’s ability to automatically switch between the onboard intel graphics card and the nVidia / ATI graphics chip, thus smoothening out gameplay.
Problem #6 Torchlight 2 Crash Fix – For Quad Core and Multi-Core PCs
If you’re on Quad Core, try this fix to address any crash issues:
- Start the game
- Alt+Tab Out of the game
- Open Task Manager
- Right click on Torchlight 2.exe
- Set Affinity
- Select core 0 and 1 only. You need to run the game on two CPU’s basically, so to avoid the crash to desktop.
Problem #7 Torchlight 2 Controller Fix – Xbox 360 or Other Controller Doesn’t Work
There are two known possible solutions as of writing for this controller bug:
- Manually download and install any Torchlight 2 game patch from the official source instead rather than automatically updating via Steam or any similar game client.
- If you haven’t yet, go to your Windows Control Panel and ensure that the Xbox 360 Controller is enabled. Then, in-game, go to Options > Controls > Customize Controls (or similar menu path) and ensure that the proper controller is selected.
Problem #8 Torchlight 2 Install Error: “Torchlight 2 Install Fails, Cannot Install”
This is a Microsoft C++ bug so the quick fix is to uninstall your C++ files. If you see 2 instances of Microsoft C++, uninstall both of them; and don’t worry, they are easy to reinstall. There are also a couple