Fix all Krater crash problems, errors, freezing, lagging, desktop crash, FPS issues, black screen, no sound, and more with this list of user-contributed solutions. A worthy tactical strategy game set in post-apocalyptic Sweden, Krater proves to be one solid and fun game. Krater suffers from significant game-breaking bugs though, so be sure to read through our article to find the right solution for your game problem.
Fixing Krater Crashes, Errors, Freezing, Lagging, CTD, Poor FPS, Black screen, No Sound
First things first, make sure your PC system meets the minimum requirements for Krater. If you’re not sure of your PC specs, check this guide on how to check your PC specs.
Krater Crash Fix and Fixes to Errors, Freezing, Lagging, CTD, Poor FPS, Black screen, No Sound
Problem #1 Krater – Cannot Install Krater
Reinstall the game, but please ensure that you’ve fully uninstalled Krater from your PC, before trying to install again. In some cases, you may have to manually delete the Krater installation folder from the PC in case files remain after uninstalling.
Problem #2 Krater Install Error: “Krater Install Fails, Cannot Install”
This is a Microsoft C++ bug so the quick fix is to uninstall your C++ files. If you see 2 instances of Microsoft C++, uninstall both of them; and don’t worry, they are easy to reinstall. There are also a couple workarounds online if you don’t want to uninstall them.
Problem #3 Krater Game Freeze Fix – Game Freezes during the Intro Video
If you’re using Steam, a quick solution is to verify the integrity of your Steam game cache to resolve the problem. If it persists, ensure that both your graphics drivers and DirectX are updated. Doing both will mostly reduce the occurrences of Krater freezing.
Problem #4 Krater Crash Fix – Game crashes when launching / upon launch
This is a typical DirectX problem. Just update to the latest DirectX version and voila. If that doesn’t work, reinstall DirectX completely.
Problem #5 Krater DirectX Fix – Cannot Install Direct X / Stuck at Direct X Installation
More often than not, this has been caused by other software drivers such as those from Logitech, Razer, Microsoft, etc, which normally control other minor peripherals such as your webcam, special programs, and sometimes your mouse. Simply shut them off and disable them, and try updating/installing Direct X again.
Problem #6 Krater Crash Fix – Possible Crash Fix for nVidia users only
Go to Nvidia control panel by right clicking the icon in the taskbar, then manage 3d settings and set ‘Threaded Optimization’ to on.
Problem #7 Krater Crash Fix – Possible Crash Fix for ATI/AMD users only
Uninstall Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and try running Krater again. For some reason, CCC may at times interfere with the performance of Radeon cards.
Problem #8 Krater Crash Fix – Crash to Desktop upon Launch / Startup
If Krater randomly crashes upon launching the game, ensure or try the following:
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers. Check our Technical References page for proper and official download links.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes Krater performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the Krater, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering, restart Krater
- Disable V-sync, restart Krater
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- In Windows 7 right-click the Krater exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition’
- Run through our list of general fixes, which will most likely resolve your Krater crash problems
Problem #9 Krater Crash Fix – Krater Crashes right after pressing the ‘Play’ button
In Windows 7 go the Krater installation folder, right-click the Krater exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition.’ Then try running Krater once more.
Problem #10 Krater Launch Crash Fix – Krater “Could not load image”
Go to the Krater installation folder and look for the Krater .exe file and run it directly from there, rather than using the shortcut or client link.