Here’s a working list of crash fixes for Stronghold 3. This game is very controversial, being heavily advertised yet getting very mixed reviews as it was launched. Personally I’ve found Stronghold 3 quite endearing, despite being simpler than Stronghold 2 it is tight enough as an RTS. Anyway, you are of course on this page because you got the game and are probably having a hard time getting it up. So here we are to help you solve most of those game breaking crashes, freezes, errors, and bugs in Stronghold 3.
Fixing Stronghold 3 Crashes, Freezes, Failed to Initialize, Blackscreen, Control problem, Mouse bugs, No Sound, Lagging, FPS drop, Errors
First things first. Stronghold 3 is categorized as a low-requirement game, so meeting the minimum system requirements shouldn’t be tough. Here are the minimum PC specs to be considered:
Stronghold 3 Minimum System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP SP3, Vista SP2 or Windows 7
- CPU: 2.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 3000+ or higher
- RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2 GB for Vista and Win7
- HDD: 2 GB free disk space
- Graphics: 128 MB Graphics Memory
- Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
- DirectX: Version 9
- Supported Graphics Cards:
- ATI Radeon X1000/GeForce 6 Series or better
Stronghold 3 Crash Fix and Fixes to Freezes, Failed to Initialize, Blackscreen, Control problem, Mouse bugs, No Sound, Lagging, FPS drop, Errors
Problem #1 – Stronghold 3 Crash Fix – Error: Stronghold 3 failed to initialize the engine
If your getting this very error, do the following.
Solution thanks to Uncletokey:
Open Device Manager in Windows
Expand Display Adapters
Disable (Lower End) Intel Display Adapter
Problem #2 – How Stronghold 3 French / German language problem
A patch has been deployed, but it hasn’t really fixed this issue for some players. As a quick fix, just restart your Steam client and voila (no pun intended), and “English” should pop up under “Languages” in your Properties window of Stronghold 3.
Problem #3 – Stronghold 3 Control Fix – Control problems, Cannot move troops, Cannot delete tools and objects, Cannot move troops on walls and turrets
Another quick fix solution is needed for one, try this:
Save the game
Fully exit to Windows
Relaunch Stronghold 3
Yes, it’s pretty straightforward and somewhat annoying, but it works.
Problem #4 – Stronghold 3 Screen Resolution Fix – Screen Resolution won’t set 1920×1080
This is just a coding oversight by the developers. On the resolution slider, instead of using your mousewheel to scroll between the available resolutions, just use your mouse and click on the slider and drag it all the way down. 1920×1080 should appear.
Problem #5 – Stronghold 3 Randomly Crashes, Freezes, Exits, Crash to Desktop (CTD), Blackscreen, Appcrash error anytime while playing
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your graphics control panel)
- Set shadow quality to low.
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering
- Disable V-sync
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- Run through our list of general fixes, which will most likely resolve your problems
Problem #6 – Stronghold 3 Lags, Poor FPS, Framerate drops, Stuttering
Here’s a quick fix thanks to warlcok554:
Navigate to Documents > Stronghold 3 > Profiles, open options.xml with Notepad and replace the contents with:
Basically doing this sets Stronghold 3 graphics to best performance settings.
Problem #7 – Stronghold 3.exe is a virus / threat?
Your antivirus program is just sensitive. Obviously a false alarm so Ignore it.
Problem #8 – Stronghold 3 Error: Stronghold 3 Failed to initialize the engine
First, try the solution to Problem #1. That has helped many with this same problem.
If that doesn’t work, force the game into running using your native screen resolution. Here’s how you do that:
- Open the folder [Install Directory]Steamsteamappscommonstronghold3binwin32_release
- Open the file “config.xml” (Using notepad)
- Change line 3: to your native desktop resolution.
- Run the game.
Problem #9 – Stronghold 3 is forcing 3D display mode
Close the game, go to your graphics panel (ATI Catalyst / nVidia control)