Two releases from the Need for Speed stable in just over four months has got to be a new record. Thankfully, Shift 2 Unleashed is a completely different beast from last year’s Hot Pursuit–it’s even more focused on simulation than the first Shift, with its better overall gameplay and increased customizable options. However, Shift 2: Unleashed is also buggy and I’ve encountered multiple crashes and freezes that it made me reinstall the game to finally fix it.
I’d like to share a hotfix I found on the web to help you guys fix your Shift 2 PC games. Hope it helps! Please post in my comment box if the solutions below didn’t fix your problem, or if you encountered an entirely different error with the game.
Problem #1: Shift 2: Unleashed Stuttering Fix – FPS Drop
If you are experiencing stuttering issues while playing the game. Easy fix, just installed the latest video card drivers and the game would run smooth. If the problem still persists, make sure you have latest PhysX installed on your system.
Problem #2: Shift 2 unleashed PS3 G25 Steering Wheel Problems
Turn off your wireless controller and try again. It will fix any issue you are experiencing in getting your steering wheel to be recognized by the game.
Problem #3: Can’t Activate Shift 2: Unleashed
Few of the things you can try:
- At the activation screen simply click “cancel” and the game may install without activating.
- Install the EA download manager, and in the upper right click the gear and click >redeem game code. Here you can enter your code, and download the game rather than install it from disc.
Problem #4: Shift 2: Unleashed – No Motion Blur, Depth of Field, or Smoke
Even with all the settings set to high, you don’t see the visual effects present in the game.
Problem #5: Shift 2: Unleashed Limited Edition Cars Missing
You just have to go to the Car Lot and select the cars that were rewarded to you. Once the code is entered the VIP (Limited Edition) cars cost $0, so you just have to load them into your Garage from the Car Lot.
Problem #6: Shift 2: Unleashed Autolog Error
If you are experiencing connection problems when trying to connect to autolog in Shift 2: Unleashed, be patient, it may just be a server overload issue.
Problem #7: Shift 2: Unleashed Slow – FPS Drops, and Stuttering
Update your video card drivers if you are experiencing slow menu, resolution issues, and stuttering all round while playing Shift 2: Unleashed.
Problem #8: Shift 2: Unleashed Fails on Start Up Process
You can follow the procedure below to resolve this issue:
- Make a note of the name of the subfolder under “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Solidshield” (copy the folder name into the clipboard).
- Rename “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Solidshield” ) – e.g. rename to “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Solidshield.1?.
- Create folder “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Solidshield”.
- Create a new subfolder under “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Solidshield” and rename it with the directory name noted at step 1 (paste the folder name from the clipboard).
- Launch Shift 2 and proceed through the activation process. The process should now be able to create files under “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Solidshield”, complete the activation process successfully and launch the game.
Problem #9: Shift 2: Unleashed Crashes
If the game is frequently crashing, you may need to update graphics card drivers, DirectX and PhysX drivers so it works properly. If the problem still persists, upgrade the graphics driver firmware version to resolve the issue.
Problem #10: Shift 2: Unleashed Freezes
Shift 2 Freezes When In – Garage
You may experience random freezes with the console version of the game especially when in-garage. Install the game on your HD; the number of freezes will minimize if the issue is not totally resolved.
Problem #13: How to Reduce Steering Wheel Lag
Try forcing Vsync in your nVidia or ATI Catalyst control panel, also try dropping pre-rendered frames to – 0. If you are on ATI use Radeon Pro to do the job for you.
Problem #14: How to Skip Intro Videos
[game dir]\Movies\BootFlow_in.bik & BootFlow_out.bik –> simply rename these two files.