This is an in-development page of Diablo 3 fixes for crashes, freezes, and errors which will be regularly updated as the game is launched worldwide. (UPDATE: FIXES ALSO WORK ON DIABLO 3 RETAIL VERSION) With the much anticipated worldwide release of Diablo 3 fans of the franchise are already having headaches from multiple game-breaking bugs and crashes. It’s a good thing that Blizzard is on their toes ready to fix any issues that arise, but nevertheless it wouldn’t hurt to run through the list below to prepare for possible crashes. Without further ado…
Fixing Diablo 3 Crashes, Freezes, Blackscreen, Errors, and Poor FPS
First things first! Make sure your PC system meets the following requirements. If you don’t know how to check your PC system requirements check our guide on how to check your PC specs.
DIABLO 3 MINIMUM SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
- OS: Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
- Processor: Intel Pentium® D 2.8 GHz or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 4400+
- Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better
- OS: Mac® OS X 10.6.8 or newer | Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo
- Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better
- HD Space: 12 GB available HD space | Memory: 1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/
- Windows® 7 users, 2 GB for Mac® users) | Drive: DVD-ROM drive | Internet: Broadband Internet
- connection | Display: 1024×768 minimum display resolution
(Note: Be advised that some wireless connections do not meet the minimums required to be a true Broadband Internet connecton. Wireless results may vary.)
DIABLO 3 RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
- OS: Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Latest Service Packs) | Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
- or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz | Memory: 2 GB RAM | Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 260 or
- ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 or better
- OS: Mac® OS X 10.7 or newer | Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo | Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI Radeon™ HD 4670 or better
Diablo 3 Crash Fix and Fixes to Errors, “Has stopped working”, Cannot Install, Tome Error, Error 108, Error 3014
Problem #1 Diablo 3 Crash Fix – Diablo 3 randomly crashes / blackscreens / freezes
If Diablo 3 randomly crashes upon launching the game, ensure or try the following:
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers. Check our Technical References page for proper and official download links.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes Diablo 3 performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the Diablo 3, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering, restart Diablo 3
- Disable V-sync, restart Diablo 3
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- In Windows 7 right-click the Diablo 3 exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition’
- Run through our list of general fixes, which will most likely resolve your Diablo 3 crash problems
Problem #2 Diablo 3 Bug Fix – Profile is Wrong/Incorrect
This may be an older bug. If ever this still occurs, try to reboot and run Diablo 3 again as a quick workaround fix.
Problem #3 Diablo 3 Crash Fix – Error 24000
No resolution at the moment, but will be resolved via a patch.
Problem #4 Diablo 3 Bug Fix – Cannot Download Diablo 3
You need to quickly click on Downloader Preferences then turn on Peer to Peer downloading.
Problem #5 Diablo 3 Graphics Crash Fix – nVidia / ATI graphics card overheats
Please update your graphics card driver to the latest version. Some would also
attest that a driver rollback (reinstall or downgrade to older version) works well to maintain decent temperatures.
Problem #6 Diablo 3 Loading Error Fix – Intel HD 3000 Cannot load the game
An old bug supposedly resolved in Patch 1 of the closed Beta, but if it recurs, you could try uninstalling your game, update your graphics and sound drivers to the latest version, then reinstall again.
Problem #7 Diablo 3 Error Fix – Error 3014
Don’t try to install if you are in a private or office network. Make sure you don’t have any proxies. Also try turning off your anti-virus programs when trying to install Diablo 3.
If the above doesn’t work check our recommend fix at Problem #20
Problem #8 Diablo 3 FPS Fix – Stuttering Performance
Check this list of supported video cards (disclaimer, this is supposedly the leaked official list)
Problem #9 Diablo 3 Installation Fix – Problems installing in Windows Vista and Windows 7
Make sure you have the latest Microsoft service pack installed for the respective systems.
Problem #10 Diablo 3 Crash Fix – Problems running Diablo 3 on dual monitors
To fix this hit Win Key, Shift and the arrow key towards your primary monitor.
If you are in windowed mode, try editing this line in your documentsDiablo IIID3Prefs.txt file:
Change the ’1? to a ’0? and save the file. It will be in fullscreen mode again and should be on your primary monitor.
Problem #11 Diablo 3 Performance Fix – Choppy / Poor performance win Fullscreen (Windowed)
Running any games on fullscreen windowed usually causes FPS drops. Just make sure you close any other programs running in the background, including any proactive anti-virus activity.
Problem #12 Diablo 3 Crash Fix – Computer locks up and then Blackscreen
Please run through our page of general fixes (apart from Steam-specific fixes).
Problem #13 Diablo 3 Crash Error Fix – “NVLDDMKM” HAS STOPPED WORKING
Try reverting to an older Nvidia video driver release:
- 32 bit Vista: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-260.99-whql-driver.html
- 64 bit Vista: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-260.99-whql-driver.html
Diablo 3 should start fine after the rollback.
Problem #14 Diablo 3 Crash Error Fix – “Diablo III retail has stopped working”
- Click Start and then Control Panel
- Click View network status and tasks
- Click Change adapter settings on the left portion of the Window.
- Double-click the icon for the Internet connection you’re using. Often this will be labeled “Local Area Connection” or the name of your ISP. If you have multiple connections, make sure not to click the one with the red X.
- Click the Properties button.
- Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
- Select (highlight) Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Click Properties.
- Click Use the following DNS server addresses:
- In the “Preferred DNS server” field type 8 – 8 – 8 – 8 (This is Googles free DNS)
- In the “Alternate DNS server” field type 8 – 8 – 4 – 4
Problem #15 Diablo 3 Crash Fix - ATI 12.4 Catalyst graphics crash issue
Problem #16 Diablo 3 Error -
“Disc Ejected” Error
Problem #17 Diablo Error – “An unexpected decryption error occurred” or Diablo 3 “Error 108″
Problem #18 Diablo 3 Problem – Nothing happens when running Diablo 3 Setup.exe, or Diablo 3 stuck at “Updating setup files”
Problem #19 Diablo 3 Crashes Randomly – Known programs to crash Diablo 3
- EVGA Precision
- Airfoil by Rogue Amoeba
- MSI Afterburner
Problem #20 Diablo 3 Problem – Cannot install Diablo 3
Problem #21 Diablo 3 Error – Diablo 3 Tome Error
Problem #X Yours!
That’s about as comprehensive as we can get right now in giving you working solutions to fix known Diablo 3 crash errors, freezing, lagging, and other game-breaking problems. Please do participate in the comments section below if you’re encountering other crash issues, or if you simply want to help out!